SEO is almost a dirty word these days. There is nothing more frustrating than having a great website with no one finding it. On the other hand, it’s even worse to dedicate hours and hours of “SEO” time to your site, only to find out 2 months down the road that all of the rules have changed.
Don’t feel bad if this happens to you. It’s even happening to the experts these days. What worked great to get #1 rankings a year ago can cause nothing but problems this year. But there’s a secret that you can use that will help you rank at the top of the search engine rankings and stay there year after year. And it’s probably not a word you would expect to hear applied to SEO.
It’s simple…Moderation! The search engines want results to look natural and they want to know a lot of people are interested in what you have to say. There are a couple of different ways to do this but the easiest way is to concentrate a little on everything. You want to be known as the expert in your area. So, how can you do this?
- Write articles and submit to entertainment sites in your area. Don’t forget to include a link back to your website.
- Update your website at least once a month and make sure to submit your update to FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc
- Set up a profile on Google Plus and plus1 all of your posts
- Start your instagram account and submit photos that are properly tagged to your account
- Remember….It’s not supposed to be all about you! Use those social media pages to reach out to others. Comment on their posts, like their photos and interact with the community.
- Set up a couple of blogs about entertainment in your community. Make sure to put your business link on these pages and update the blogs frequently.
- Submit a press release to your area newspaper.
This is good for a start. Your website needs backlinks to get noticed. But 1000’s of backlinks from the same couple of sites won’t do you any good. It can actually reduce your rankings. Watch the incoming links to your site so that you can see what’s going with your site. That’s the best way to stay on top. Work to get diverse backlinks, lots of social media attention and always watch out for the newest trend. This is how you’re going to stay on top.
And don’t forget to check once a month just to see how much traffic you have, where it’s coming from and who is linking back to your site. Fifteen minutes a month can go a long way to making your rankings #1. Slow and steady should be the plan. Your goal is to be on page one forever and ever!